Outer Beauty I believe, starts with inner beauty. Always. And for me, inner beauty not only has to do with character and being altruistic, but your overall well-being. It’s been three years since I have discovered this amazing brand of healthy beverages that really changed my health, called Javita, and I have been hooked from Day 1. A year ago they launched a new line of fruit fused beverages called Activeblendz and I ecstatic because it was fruit based! (I LOOOVE fruits) Not only does this line taste delicious, but it is infused with special herbs and 100% natural ingredients that actually support good health and promotes a healthier choice than your regular cup of boring water: from boosting your immunity, controlling your appetite, providing sustained energy, having healthier joints, to supplying optimal health. ( If you’re ready to get healthier, feel better and transform your water into something extraordinary, CLICK HERE to know more about it and try it for yourself! )
Apart from the taste and amazing health benefits, what caught my eye was the fresh and colorful packaging, I love it! I got inspired to do wearable fresh makeup looks that are reminiscent of the ActiveBlendz line. Before you know it, I was hauling my friends (who actually drink the products) for a photo shoot. My sister from another mother, Dori aka my Mama D, came all the way from AZ to do the shoot, who by the way, is just a phenomenal self-taught photographer (I have renamed her Shutter Slay, suffice to say she #KillsIT Every. Single. Time.) We were also lucky enough to have a second shooter, the talented Richard Garingalao (check out his fantastic work by clicking HERE ) who was fantastic at putting everyone at ease with his awesome art direction skills and good nature.
It was a Great Day! I had the best team! Thank you Dori, Richard, Hope, Janela and Pin for energizing me to create. I can’t wait to do it all again and again!
Control X Hope
Hope rocking that red smokey eye with bluish black accents. She’s slaying that classic red lip like nobody's business.
Fiber+ X Janela
Flawless Janela looking fresh as a peach in this warm neutral look with an edge.
Flex/Rush X Pin
Pin glowing like a goddess in hues of the sun, with a fresh pinkish gold lip.
Defend X Lala
Purple is simply one of my all-time favorite colors. My immunity is certainly up with this purple smokey eye and light berry stain.
And it's a Wrap!
Team ActiveBlendz: Be Extraordinary!
*all images by Dori "Shutter Slay" Regalado
Viseart Eye Palettes
Colourpop Super Shock Shadows
Nars Eyeshadows & Blushes
Ben Nye blushes
Makeup Forever HD Foundations and Liners
MAC Shaping Powders
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders
Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz & Contour Kit
Becca Backlight Primer
Becca Aqua Luminous Foundation
Urban Decay Setting Spray
Jouer Liquid Lip Creme
Estee Lauder Lipstick
Loreal Voluminous Mascara
Favorite… “preferred before all others of the same kind”. Well, in the world of makeup, it’s safe to say that this idea is close to a cow jumping over the moon or learning quantum physics in a day. Simply put, it is a feat I have yet to even attempt to delve into, and so I prefer the term, “picks”.
September for me is the transition month…for Weather, (I’m talking waking up to 60 degrees, spiking to 105 a few hours after, and dropping again to the 60s at night, alternate days of dry to humid, well at least in our side of the globe in fantabulous Los Angeles), Fashion (Summer is slowly fading away to give in to Fall), and with this, Makeup Styles. This month, I have been loving these products and been using it this whole month it seems. Some products I’ve had for quite a while now, but just like a pair of shoes in your closet, sometimes you forget how much you love them because it was stored in the back all this time and lo and behold, you rediscover that brick of gold sitting there all along.
I have been absolutely loving my COLOURPOP Super Shock Shadows for on-the-go days where you just don’t have time to blend until your hands hurt.
I completely forgot these because like that pair of shoes, it was in my back drawer, hiding amongst its powder palette sisters. And I remembered how much I actually loved it, and its no muss no fuss application. Before I knew it, I pretty much stuck to these as my staple eye looks this whole month. The mousse-like/gel texture makes it so easy to work with, and it sticks to your lids without fall out, genius. And the pigmentation especially their metallic and pearlized finishes, amazing! You don’t even need an eye primer in my opinion, because of the consistency of the shadow, it actually feels like a primer already.
Best part… drumroll… price point. $5 for each shade! Are you kidding... this for me is a no brainer. Parking in Hollywood costs more…four times over to be exact. The cherry on top - it’s made in my stomping ground, Los Angeles. So you not only get Made in the USA products, but great quality for your buck. These are only available online so don’t forget to register so you get $5 off your first purchase!
Another September pick is my resurfaced love for liquid lipsticks. Truth be told, I never liked liquid lipsticks in the past. I would steer clear from them because all the ones I’ve tried were too drying, settled into fine lines, and by the end of the day, your lips looked like they got a sunburn, no not the tan, the peeling part. Not cute. BUT…after much testing and what seemed like 30 chapped looking lips after, I discovered my absolute top two brands for this category…KAT VON D’s Everlasting Liquid Lipstick and JOUER Cosmetics Long-Wear Lip Crème Liquid Lipstick. *cue Angels singing*
I am absolutely over the moon in love with these two formulations. Not only are they long wearing, (I have tried wearing these for 8 hours at least, and it did not budge, bleed or crack, all this with zero retouch while withstanding greasy food, coffee sips and pretty much your daily grind) but they are so light-weight that you practically do not feel them on your lips when applied. Sure, they'll eventually fade, I mean it's not cement, but in terms of longevity, Kudos!
Kat Von D Beauty’s line is Vegan and Cruelty-free (they define it as as a product that does not contain any animal products or by-products, and has not been tested on animals) and the creator, Kat Von D, is a brilliant LA based tattoo artist who shares her craft and artistry, so that we too can discover our creative outlet through the art of makeup.
I personally love what Kat Von D Beauty epitomizes: “We are bold, unapologetic, outspoken and different in our own way. We are artists, poets and lovers. We are the outsiders and the insiders. – KVD”
Jouer Cosmetics (pronounced “zhew-ey” means ‘to play’ in French) on the other hand, was created by Christina Zilber, a busy mom of two, who wanted to provide women with personalized beauty and modern convenience. What's more, she wanted a line that encompasses “beauty with skincare included”. Pretty much your double duty product for that classic and effortless look. Beauty with skincare? I think that is every woman's dream. Sign me up!
I especially appreciate Jouer's wide spectrum of NUDE color choices, from warm to cool tones. This is great for women who prefer the "natural lip" look but still have that little bit of glam going on.
Not only are these two brands stellar in quality, but what they embody…I don’t have enough thumbs to give it the proper recognition it deserves. You may have noticed, I do love to know more about the brand and its background, because for me, not only is quality important, but the driving force behind the artistry, which is what really inspires me and, what gets my loyalty. These two liquid lippies are definitely a toss up for me, I simply could not pick one over the other.
There you have it, my 3 top picks for the start of the BER months. Time to dust off those sweaters and boots! With fall comes a whole new makeup flair, can’t wait to share those with you! Stay tuned!
My love for makeup has given me new meaning to having fun. I love being at the beach, I love the islands, the waters & all the fun stuff that comes with it. But let’s face it, barefaced out on the beach is just not my idea of looking “natural”, that’s like leaving my house naked. Thankfully, with the new and improved waterproof beauty products now available out there, we can now look both natural and glamorous at the same time, while waterproofing our face. Because who doesn't want to look naturally glamorous swimming?
While it is challenging to find good reliable makeups to stand the test of waters & sun, there are actually a whole bunch out there that are not necessarily labelled as “waterproof’, but because these products are usually cream/liquid based, they do resist water.
The trick is to avoid anything powdery when in tropical locations where humidity is not a friend of powder. Cream products are always your best bet.
Here are my top favorites that I take along with me on my island trips:
Coverage: The “Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation” by MAC, basically says it all; waterproof, longwear, foundation. I’ve only been wearing this for few days now and let me tell you, it works. I walked around with it under the heat of the sun and high humidity, perspired abundantly, and then spent at least 6 hours on & off the pool with it, swimming & water slides countless times, but my makeup stayed pristine! (side note to gym goers? sweat away, this foundation holds up impressively!).
It blends smoothly on my skin, It is medium coverage but easily buildable to full coverage. This foundation oxidizes on your skin, so it is recommended that you take a shade lighter.
Protection: This MAC foundation does not have sun protection, I highly recommend applying a good amount of moisturizer with SPF, especially if you plan on going under the sun for long hours.
I use Lightful C Marine-Bright Formula SPF 30 Moisturizer, which I think is a perfect duo. You get the moisturizer & the sun protection you need all in one bottle.
Get your bronze on: When in the islands, I like to go for the dewy, bronzy look. This look goes with the saying, “less is more”, it is quick and easy and not a lot required to achieve the look.
I think it’s perfect for any outdoor activities. No heavy eyeshadows needed, all you need is a good bronzer. And I have just the perfect one for it!
The “Extra Dimension Skinfinish” by MAC, is IT!
it is a creamy liquid-powder formula that resist moisture. I have this in “Shaft of Gold”, and I loooove love love it. I got this just before I went to the Bahamas, and fell in love with it, and brought it again with me here in Hawaii. I use it for blush, bronzer, highlighter, and for eyeshadow too. I even swim with it!
Because who doesn’t like highlighters still on your face when you emerge from that water? Unfortunately, this item was a limited edition, and is no longer available. ( I know, I know.. I just have to share to those who have this buried in those pile of bronzers you haven’t used yet, you don't know what treasure you have lying underneath there) But not to worry..
BECCA has a very similar product with just the same staying power, and has the same multi-purpose use, the BECCA “Beach Tint Shimmer Soufflé. The best part is, this is not limited edition, it is available at Sephora. Then again, you’ll never know when they discontinue items. So go ahead, hoard!
To finish the look, I use Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz & pencil, and a little bit of brown eyeliner just underneath the lashes and lower eyelids. Yes, they hold up pretty well too!
My lipstick love affair:
The “Everlasting Liquid Lipstick” by Kat Von D, is on top of my liquid lipstick favorites. It lives up to its name “everlasting”. A long-wear, creamy smooth, full-coverage liquid lipstick with matte finish. Simply everything I ever want in a liquid lipstick! It is waterproof, impressive moisture endurance.
I know it because I go swimming with it! great for beach and swimming pool days and all sorts of outdoors activities. I am obsessed with it, I use it everyday of my life.
Formulated with natural ingredients with vitamin E and sunflower seed to promote healthy looking, long lasting matte, vivid colors while it stays smoothly on your lips. Impeccable quality!
Hair care: A healthy hair starts with a healthy hair regimen. Take it from the expert, (my professional hair stylist that is!). Color treated hair or not, always apply a good hair oil after washing your hair. I have proven that to be really helpful. Not only that it gives my hair the healthy glow & shine, but also soft and easy to style. Even perfect to combat that humidity in the tropics.
I use Matrix Oil Wonders in Egyptian Hibiscus - It is a color caring oil that my hair stylist uses for her clients. This also comes in different kinds, for any hair types, like non color treated hair. The best part about this oil, it does not make your hair oily or heavy at all.
After a day at the pool or snorkeling in the sea, my hair is soaked in salty water or that chlorine from the swimming pool, I make sure to apply this on to prevent damage.
For dinner out in town, or just out exploring the local,
I simply curl my hair with a bigger curling iron to get that soft shinny beachy wave look. With this oil, I don’t need anymore curling products.
Lastly, stay fabulous, love your curves, don’t starve yourself, eat, drink and take that vacation you've been thinking about.. frolic away in the islands!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Summer is by far my favorite season of all time, there’s no such thing as too much sun in my book! But with that glorious sun also comes precautions when it comes to skin protection and makeup. In the summer time, less is definitely more and here are some of my go-to products to enjoy basking in the sun while still looking fresh and more importantly, keeping your face protected and radiant:
1. Moisture Up! – I think there is a misconception when it comes to moisturizers, some people feel that if they are naturally oily or live in humid places, they don’t need this step. On the contrary, leaving out moisturizer in your daily routine could develop more wrinkles. According to dermatologist Dr. Whitney Bowe: "When the skin barrier is compromised, which is what we see when it becomes dry, there's actually a low-grade chronic inflammation that occurs in the skin, low levels of ongoing inflammation ultimately lead to a breakdown of collagen and accelerated aging." Moisturizers that tailor-fit to each skin type are readily available from drugstore brands to high end products. Choose one that best suits your skin type.
Personally, I love Embryollise Lait-Crème Concentre and I find this suits all kinds of skin types of all ages, especially combination skin which is the most common skin type. CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion is also a great budget-friendly alternative, not only does it already have SPF built in, it has skin care ingredients as well such as Hyaluronic Acid and Cermides which are great for anti aging. If you are oily or live in a place with high humidity, choose a light weight gel-based moisturizer, which will hydrate your skin but won’t make you look too oily when you start sweating. If you are on the dry side, choose a moisturizer that is cream based. I am loving NARS Luminous Moisture Cream for when I get drier skin days, or applying it to just the dry patches of your face, and NARS Aqua Gel Luminous Oil-Free Moisturizer for humid days when I tend to get more oily.
2. SPF or Bust – Unless your foundation has some sort of SPF already in the formula, it is always best to apply any SPF face lotion before applying any makeup during the day. Some dermas even recommend wearing sunscreen in addition to your foundation which already has SPF in it. SPF sunscreen protects us from UVB – which is one of the damaging sun rays that is responsible for burning skin. So the number of your SPF is a guide for how much UVB protection the product offers – the higher the number the more protection. The American Cancer Society recommends an SPF value of 30 or higher. Many of us don’t realize the skin-damaging effects the sun can cause, I too am guilty of basking under the sun all day especially in my teens and up, and using suntan oils with little to no SPF because of wanting to achieve the “tanned look”. We fail to realize that sun damage and its signs reveal itself later in life, and by then the effects can’t be reversed and just leads to more prematurely aged skin and worse, skin cancer. Lucky for us, there are so many makeup products out there that are infused with SPF and other skin care benefits to combat these premature aging signs.
3. Less is More – Summer is the perfect season to have the “No Makeup-Makeup Look” and a great way to do this is by keeping a Tinted Moisturizer or BB Cream handy for those summer months. A tinted moisturizer or a BB Cream is a great alternative to even out your skin tone (hyperpigmentation, age spots, etc) with a bit of coverage but still gives you the luminous glow of skin. What’s the difference? A Tinted Moisturizer is basically a moisturizer with a bit of color infused into it – it provides hydration but gives you minimal coverage and at times offer sun protection (SPF). A BB Cream on the other hand is an all-in-one product wherein it has the same attributes as a tinted moisturizer but has anti- aging ingredients infused and acts as a primer as well – making your makeup last longer.
It is great for those who want the “no muss no fuss makeup look” and don’t need a lot of coverage. I find that even if you need added coverage, a tinted moisturizer or BB cream still does the trick: all you need is to use a concealer afterwards in the areas you need more coverage (such as dark circles, acne spots and the like) and blend it all out. For those who still want more coverage, try mixing a bit of your regular foundation (try half of the amount that you normally use) into your tinted moisturizer/BB Cream and voila! Added coverage but still retain the skin-like appearance.
I particularly love KIMIKO Hydrating Tint which is more of a BB Cream since it delivers skin care properties as well, but has an SPF built in, and hydrates the skin while blurring imperfections. An added plus is that it is hypo-allergenic so it is great for those with sensitive skin. Another fave of mine is the NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, it not only hydrates my skin and has a higher SPF coverage but it has great coverage while giving your skin a natural glow.
4. Stay Cheeky – Summer is all about the glowing skin and a flush to the cheeks. And who says you can’t wear blush even if you’re going swimming, right? I am currently loving Stila’s Aqua Glow Watercolor Blushes! A Water-based gel formula and weightless, blends effortlessly and gives a sheer wash of color with a luminous finish, but buildable. Best part…it’s waterproof! Another obsession is Becca’s Beach Tints, which are water resistant and ultra blendable. And what’s great is not only is it for the cheeks, but can double up as a lip stain and even eye shadow! Now that’s what I call multi-tasking. Great for on the go beach trips or if you just want a pop of color on a hectic summer day. If you want that added glow, Becca’s Beach Tint Shimmer Souffle is also a winner. It is exactly like their beach tints but it is infused with a highlighter… all in a whipped soufflé formula. Genius.
5. Lash it Out – like I tell my friends all the time, if you have absolutely no time to put on any makeup, just curl your lashes. I find that taking a few seconds to curl your lashes makes a HUGE difference. It instantly gives the appearance of being awake and bright eyed, and more so when you take a bit of time to put some mascara. Instant glam! If eyes are the windows to the soul, curled lashes are the keys to your front door. For those hot summer days, try a water proof mascara to jazz up those peepers. I am a huge fan of L’Oreal mascaras, especially the Voluminous line, not only are they affordable but the wearability and range of mascaras they have is insane. I also find that their formulation is not too heavy like other mascaras that weigh your lashes down, they keep them curled and fab! For bottom lashes, I love MAC’s Extended Play Lash, the slim brush is perfect for bottom lashes and those hard to reach areas. Smudge resistant, lightweight and long wearing.
Now let’s go and have some fun in the sun!